Re: Not all Arabics are created equal...

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 13:28:39 EDT

Gregg Reynolds wrote:

> Least significant digit according to that rule always comes first _in
> reading order_.

Let's assuming that...

> The opposite obtains in European languages.

In *some* European languages.

In German, two-digit numbers are more often read LSD then MSD.
In Latin, and this evolved in language like Spanish, cardinal
2-digit numbers also are read LSD then MSD then "cardinal" suffix.

I am certain other examples exist, since previously the rule was
the same as for Arabic, at least for a number of the root languages.
And of course, this is the scheme used in Sanskrit (and perhaps the
other Indic languages borrowed that, I do not know).

Antoine