Re: Pronunciation of "Unicode"

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 17:09:15 EDT

"John H. Jenkins" wrote:

> There are distinct ['ju ni kowd] and ['ju n@ kowd] camps, as well as
> a small [ju 'ni kowd] contingent (if I understand your transcription
> correctly).

I am using U+0027 to represent U+02C8, which is always to be placed before the
syllable to which it attaches. To me, [ju 'ni kowd] would suggest
an etymology for "Unicode" from "unique code".

In Common Lisp, there are syntactic constructions named "let", "flet" (for
"function let"), and "macrolet". The original intention was to pronounce these
/lEt/, /'Ef lEt/, and /'mak ro lEt/. However, there exists a faction that prefers
/'mak ro le/, as in "Chevrolet". Wild-eyed extremists even have been
heard to say /fle/. See http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/clm/node83.html .

> >> And wouldn't be just *wonderful* to have a phonetic alphabet
> >> especially designed for English? Then we wouldn't have these
> >> problems. :-)
> Er, hint, John -- look in 10646-2. Or for that matter, the ConScript
> registry. My hidden meaning might then become clear.

Oops, stupid me.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)