Re: Apostrophe vs. single quotes.

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 11:31:47 EDT

In a message dated 2001-05-01 5:23:12 Pacific Daylight Time,
11digitboy@bolt.com writes:

> "Don't you ever call me 'baby' again!" she yelled.
> ^ ^ ^
> | | |
> These are three separate abstract characters, but I
> use one glyph for all of them. What are the three codepoints
> I use for them in Unicode? (Unicode encodes abstract
> characters, I hear.)

U+2019, U+2018, U+2019.

I know the motivation was to find three different Unicode characters, but
U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK is also "the preferred character to use
for apostrophe." This is described in section 6.1, "General Punctuation," as
well as in the code charts.

There is a description at the top of page 154 that states, "The semantics of
U+2019 are [...] context-dependent" and seems to acknowledge that this
unification may occasionally cause parsing problems.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California