Re: RE: Word, Asian characters, and Arial Unicode

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 18:32:17 EDT

At 09:54 AM 5/7/01 -0700, Rick McGowan wrote:
>Now, Word2000 or some other product, or some specific set of fonts may not
>be what a classicist wants, but that limitation is not because the width
>of many characters are somehow CONSTRAINED by the East Asian Width
>property.

While that is true, any product that operates in an environment where
EA legacy sets can be present and when present must be supported, may
be quite constrained by compatibility concerns in it what it may assume
about character codes and the typographical behavior associated with them.

If it were otherwise we wouldn't have some of the discussions that have
been going on.

If you prefer to state it differently: the EAW property is descriptive
(describes the behavior of a common class of implementations that do
support legacy sets) even though it is not prescriptive (someone doing
a special purpose word processor for classicists might do somtething
that does not support EA legacy sets).

A./