RE: Characters used in programming languages (was: Re: Word, Asia n characters, ...)

From: From Net Link (kgw-net@stiscan.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 08:21:26 EDT

On Tue, 8 May 2001 11:02:34 +0200, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

#From Net Link wrote:
#> We need more shift and shift lock keys so that more than ASCII
#> can be done from a keyboard. Typing /U#### is also not acceptable.
#> My program editor already uses Ctrl-Shift, Alt-Shift and
#> Ctrl-Alt to get
#> more key combinations on all the other keys but using two
#> shift keys is awkward for
#> anything used frequently.
#> We need Unicode keyboards.
#
#A keyboard that allows entering any of the 1,114,112 Unicode characters with
#a single key-press and a combination of shift keys?
#
#Theoretically such a device is possible, but not all of it can stay *over*
#the desktop.
#
#One of the current keyboards has about 47 graphic keys. Add 1 single shift
#key and we double the possibilities: 94 characters. Add a second shift and
#reach 188 characters, and so on.
#
#In order to reach the appropriate number of combinations we need *fifteen*
#shift keys: 2^15 * 47 = 1,540,096.
#
It is not likely one would need all of them.
Having say four "code pages" assigned to shift/lock keys
would probably be enough. The assignment of characters to keycodes
 could be done by software as it is in my editor.
I just need more key code that are convenient to type.