[OT] Re: Farsi issues

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 14:14:19 EDT

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:

> Yes, I did palm this card, sorry about that. I do believe that once other
> issues are resolved that this one will resolve itself as well. There will be
> trade again some day -- possibly even in this administration if enough big
> businesses make the case for profit, etc.

I really hope for that. Personally speaking, I see that US government is
not punishing our government, but our people.

> It may sound cynical, but I think they should try to track the "pirate"
> market as well, since the people who are using MS software now (even if
> illegally obtained) may well be the ones who will buy the legal software
> when they can. Its certainly an interesting way to make a long term business
> case (though I would hate to have to present it to a bunch of VPs!).

Exactly. Look at it: since Windows is free (beer) in Iran, almost everyone
uses that and gets used to it. As is common here, the most talented people
migrate to some other country that respects copyright. Bingo! You have a
Windows user.

And thanks a lot for all your comments. I now have some ideas to talk to
government people about.

--roozbeh