RE: Ancient writing found in Turkmenistan

From: jarkko.hietaniemi@nokia.com
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 12:54:47 EDT

> <quote>
> A previously unknown civilisation was using writing in Central Asia
> 4,000 years ago, hundreds of years before Chinese writing developed,
> archaeologists have discovered.
> </quote>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_1330000/1330705.s
tm

I noticed that too and was kind of confused what Chinese writing had
to do with this, given that the area was in Turkmenistan, close to the
border of Iran, not exactly close to China, and why 4000 years is so
significant given that by that time e.g. Egypt and Mesopotamia already had
writing... but at the very end of the article they mention that the writing
had some similarity to ancient Chinese writing.