Re: Latin w/ diacritics (was Re: benefits of unicode)

From: Michael (michka) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 17:00:19 EDT

From: "11 digit boy" <11@onna.com>

> Why does Unicode only have space for 1114112 glyphs?

Unicode only defines characters, not glyphs.

> That is 1114112, I think.

Something like that. It looks nicer in hex.

> You ever notice how characters in different writing systems seem to be
made out of only a small number of parts? Like if you write an N backwards,
you get a Russian vowel, or if you write a five with the top stroke shorter
and tilted a little bit, with the tilt just right, you get a hiragana ra?

I suppose. Generally speaking, people do not think of it that way. This is a
(IMHO) dangerous practice of trying to explain one language/script in terms
of another.

> Do font makers ever use this? Like with the five and the ra?

Perhaps they do, but generally speaking they would be doing a huge
disservice to a script to take this route, and add a layer of complexity in
terms of new operations like rotation, flipping, etc. I am inclined
tobelieve that they do not.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.