RE: BIDI: possible fix

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 08:39:17 EDT

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> Yet, circled or underlined numeric separators seems such an unlikely case in
> real word! I wonder whether it would be worth to force all existing
> implementations to change only for this.

Well, I have got convinced now that the algorithm should not be change for
this. But please note that if you want to underline the whole number, the
separator with the digits around it, you still need the change in the
algorithm to make it right.

> And I am not so sure that these implementation are so few: just imagine
> re-shipping all Windows NT, Linux, or Mac OS boxes out there... And I just
> named three of them which were on the top of my head.

Do you really believe that all these are compliant? I don't know about Mac
OS's bidi yet, but Windows (as of Windows 2000 and IE 5.5) has compliance
problems, at least regarding the Hyphen-Minus. And all the current Linux
distributions with bidi (Red Hat and Mandrake), ship with the old version
of Fribidi, which has many compliance bugs even with implicit bidi.

> But I think that Roozbeh is very interested in interchanging text in a
> standard way so, apparently, a higher-level protocol is not the way to go.

Yes. I want to avoid higher-level protocols as much as possible. If you
were living in a country that has about 5 or 6 common document formats,
each having a different codepage and its own considerations about the
script, you would understand that why I want nothing other than
standards...

--roozbeh