Re: UCN (Java) notation beyond the BMP

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 09:45:38 EDT

Could be because Java doesn't support these characters yet. I suspect that
UTF-16 surrogate sequences are as close as you can get for now. As far a
Java knows,
you've got two surrogate characters and it doesn't know about the actual
character value up there at Gothic Qairthra, or any of the character
properties. What's more, if I read all the JDK 1.4 stuff correctly, it
won't know about it for the foreseeable future (JDK 1.4 will only add
support for Unicode 3.0, not 3.1, although presumably it will add the
infrastructure for surrogate pairs which will allow your question to get
answered meaningfully!)

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips Globalization Architect
webMethods, Inc http://www.webmethods.com
Sunnyvale, CA, USA mailto:aphillips@webmethods.com

+1 408.210.3569 (mobile) +1 408.962.5487 (ofc)
"Internationalization is not a feature. It is an architecture."