Re: name this hanzi

From: Thomas Chan (thomas@atlas.datexx.com)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 13:25:48 EDT

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Richard Cook wrote:

> Gaspar Sinai wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 May 2001, Richard Cook wrote:
> > > Here's a puzzle: Any idea 1.) what this character is, and 2.) if
> > > it's in Unicode?
> > > http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~rscook/bishop/Picture1.gif
> >
> > This CJK millet in English ("kibi" in Japanese) U+9ECD
>
> Yes, that's right. You're the winner. :-)
> This is a *variant* of [U+9ecd], with [U+efe2] in place of [U+6c3a].

What is U+EFE2?

> Compare e.g. [U+257e6] and also [U+22863].
> I know from context that it is in fact a variant writing of [U+9ecd] ...
> since it appears in DUAN Yucai's gloss at 113.410 (SWJZZ). But what i
> don't know is why he wrote it this way ...
> This form is not in Ext. B, nor HYDZD, nor Kangxi, as far as I can tell
> So, did you find this exact form in any character dictionary or list?

I don't know where Gaspar found it, but you may want to use the "Jiaoyubu
Yitizi Zidian" (Ministry of Education Dictionary of Chinese Character
Variants" by the Zhonghua Minkuo Jiaoyubu Guoyu Tuixing Weiyuanhui
(Mandarin Promotion Council, Ministry of Education, Republic of China):
  http://140.111.1.40/
I believe it only came out earlier this year. Site is in Chinese, of
course. Big5 encoding.

The particular variant you are looking for is here, indexed as a04768-009:
  http://140.111.1.40/yitia/fra/fra04768.htm
It gives three sources where it appears, including the _Yupian_--perhaps
DUAN or his printer got it from there? What's nice is that scans of
the entries from most of their sources are available (primarily the older
ones).

Despite all the attention _Kangxi Zidian_ and _Hanyu Da Zidian_ get as
being "comprehensive", they are are sometimes selective in what they
inherit from earlier dictionaries.

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu