RE: Term Asian is not used properly on Computers and NET

From: Thomas Chan (thomas@atlas.datexx.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 17:56:19 EDT

On Tue, 29 May 2001 Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> On 05/29/2001 02:37:55 PM Thomas Chan wrote:
> >I think what one wants is something like "languages usually and currently
> >possibly including Han characters in their written form". That frees us
> >from worrying about historical or aberrant cases, I think.
>
> Folks, this discussion was about how to label a control in a dialog box, as
> in the attached image. You can't use a label like that.

It may have begun with that (Word XP font dialog box), which was just one
of the original poster's (Liwal) examples--he also mentioned websurfing in
general--but I think the discussion has expanded beyond that into a
discussion of the meanings and implications of various other terms.

I don't disagree that a label has to be concise.

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu