Re: Term Asian is not used properly on Computers and NET

From: David Gallardo (dgallardo@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 23:39:58 EDT

Please excuse the unintended querulousness, but isn't the Greenwich meridian
merely the reification of this bias?

The Greenwich meridian division was established in 1884 by representatives
from 25 countries, mostly from Europe and the Americas. Though there were,
notably, representatives from Japan and Hawaii. See
http://greenwichmeridian.com for more info regarding this International
Meridian Conference.

Nonetheless, and more to my point, the terms "Near East" and "Far East"
were in use long before this.

@D