RE: Braille vs Bidi

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 04:32:34 EDT

Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> > Shouldn't they be Left-to-right? Does any Right-to-Left Braille
> > exist anywhere in the world?
>
> I doubt it. But if Marco is correct that Hebrew braille is
> left-to-right, there could conceivably be some exemplary
> printed materials in Hebrew, with braille examples, [...]

There is a very nice book about how braille is used in each language.
Unluckily I can't remember any reference off-hand (I think it was edited by
UNESCO), but it was mentioned time ago also on this list.

> In braille texts per se the bidirectional ordering issue should never
> arise, since braille is also a textual modality -- you cannot really
> mix braille with right-to-left text.

Don't Unicode characters also have an usage to show braille letters in
"print" text? In this case, a book *about* braille (for *sighted* Hebrew
readers) requires that braille embeddings are left-to-right.

_ Marco