RE: RECOMMENDATIONs( Term Asian is not used properly on Computersand NET)

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 16:53:10 EDT

James,

One of the reasons for grouping CJK together is that they have similar
implementation strategies. If we are grouping for that reason then maybe
Aramaic languages should fall into the same category. In that case "Asian"
is a very poor term to use. However "Han/Hanzi" does not work either.

Implementation is very important. For example, Korean except for occasional
Han characters if functionally much closer to Indic scripts. If it were not
for the crude font handling of the older systems we probably would not
implement Korean as a fully formed character set.

Carl