RE: Innovative use of Latin ?!

From: Thomas Chan (thomas@atlas.datexx.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 12:58:07 EDT

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Ayers, Mike wrote:

> > From: Martin Duerst [mailto:duerst@w3.org]
> > For people interested in new scripts, and new uses
> > of existing scripts :-)
> > http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/
>
> This looks like what is called "L33T" (elite) writing. It's popular
> among online gamers. Kinda like computer pig latin...
>
> /|/|ike

The way you sign your messages is related to that, isn't it? :) I've seen

There doesn't seem to be any standard scheme--the goal appears to
obfuscate writing by substituting graphically similar characters. What
Google is using is pretty tame--there were 1980's and 1990's versions
that made use of all the characters in CP437--Greek, math, linedrawing,
etc.

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu