Re: 64 Hexagrams, was re: New characters query

From: Richard Cook (rscook@socrates.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 23:50:25 EDT

"John H. Jenkins" wrote:

> At 7:07 PM -0700 7/2/01, Richard Cook wrote:
> >Evidence? There's ample evidence, starting c. 1000 BC, with
> >[U+5468][U+6613] _Zhou Yi_ (aka _Yi Jing_ aka _I Ching_ aka _The Book of
> >Changes_), an artifact of the Zhou Dynasty ...
> >

> I agree with Richard here. It's silly to have the trigrams and not
> the hexagrams, although I know why it worked out that way. Richard,
> are they used much *outside* of the Yi? If so, I think it's
> reasonable to add them.

Well, the thing is that the Yi itself is a major industry in publishing.
One of the largest topical bibliographies I've ever seen is a Zhou Yi
bibliography. Thousands of books in many different languages spanning
thousands of years. The system of divination is all over Asia in various
permutations. And to call them "Daoist" as I believe the original poster
did, is rather beside the point: these symbols originated in China long
before there was anything called Daoism ...

If they're going to be encoded, I believe that they ought to be encoded
in the order in which they appear in Zhou Yi, which is not a strict
binary order. A binary ordering is in the table at the top of this page:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~rscook/html/Da4Xiang4.html

On that same page the traditional ordering as handed down in Zhou Yi is
sequence in the list below on the same page.

This PDF also has the traditional order, reading from top, left to right:

http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~rscook/pdf/64GuaTradOrder.pdf

I made TrueType fonts for these a while back, if you'd like them to
craft the proposal.

This file has the traditional ordering, with naming, pronunciation and
HYDZD references:

http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~rscook/text/64Gua-TradNamesPY.txt