Re: Shavian

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 03:36:38 EDT

At 12:01 -0700 2001-07-04, Richard Cook wrote:

>now, I know of other phonemic alphabets for English ... e.g., I think
>Ben Franklin invented one, ... and I have one of my own. Are any of
>these slated for encoding too?

Franklin has at least a couple of characters -- some mappable to the
UCS, some maybe not. Visible Speech might be on the tables for
encoding, and possibly the I.T.A. (Initial Teaching Alphabet)
extensions. But Shavian's a weird case, because it's "famous". I have
a copy of the only book printed in it. But there are some Shavian web
sites and fonts available.

Makes me yearn for the Phaistos disk, a bit.

Is Shavian worth encoding? A number of people aren't happy about it.
UTC approved it, however, and we'll see what WG2 does with it later
this year.

--
Michael Everson