Re: Shavian

From: rick@unicode.org
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 01:03:47 EDT

David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org wrote...

> A lot of the arguments against Klingon weren't specificially against
> Klingon;

That was in WG2, I guess... The most recent discussion material that UTC saw
is a document I wrote, which is solely about Klingon and reasons for
rejecting it.

Fictional or invented scripts aren't in and of themselves bad candidates for
encoding, they should just be, in general, of low priority because, pretty
much without exception, they are "toys". Shavian and Deseret are examples of
scripts that needn't have been encoded now, and aren't very widely used, and
aren't _NEEDED_ by anyone at all, but were encoded because a while back
someone just happened to have done the work, and the proposals have just been
sitting around gathering dust. Might as well get them in, because nothing
more needs to be done to the proposals.

What's "bad" is that work seems to get done on fictional scripts while there
are still millions of real people (some of whom even have access to
computers) who can't express texts of their natively-used languages with
Unicode because we don't have their scripts encoded. There are various
reasons for that, the most common being that we can't get enough information
about them. The most common reason for not having enough information is that
we can't shlep enough experts to us, nor shlep enough of us to the experts,
to complete any encoding proposals... a matter of time and funds.

        Rick