Re: Re: Erratum in Unicode book

From: B (11@onna.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 18:49:32 EDT

$B!!!z$8$e$&$$$C$A$c$s!z(B

$B!!;d$O$m$3$($s$i$+$Y$5!#(B

Riddle of the week:
What song is 35971040100?
That is not a catalog number.
Hint: the chorus is 3597104042

--- Original Message ---
$B:9=P?M(B: "Michael (michka) Kaplan" <michka@trigeminal.com>;
$B08@h(B: James Kass <jameskass@worldnet.att.net>;Unicode List <unicode@unicode.org>;
Cc:
$BF|;~(B: 01/07/08 18:43
$B7oL>(B: Re: Re: Erratum in Unicode book

>From: "James Kass" <jameskass@worldnet.att.net>
>
>> Perhaps he ($Bea%rebFe"+ea!&#jeb!&!fea!&(B was lamenting the character's absence
>> in the Han Radical Index section under radical # 85.

Yes. It belongs there.

>> The Han Radical Index is particulary useful when the significant
>> radical is known, kind of like having to know the correct
>> spelling of an English word before it can be looked up in an
>> English dictionary.

Come on. What $B%o!<%W%m$P$+(B (which probably most of us are) can possibly be expected to know the radical of even *one* kanji? Heck, we're lucky if we even know the right stroke order for our own name! Since we probably never write it anyway, but rather just type it!

I would love to see an English dictionary in which words are collated based on pronunciation.

>I suspect you are correct -- but since Unicode does not promise to support
>such a thing (complete decomposability into radical and stroke of all
>unified CJK ideographs), it might be a stretch to consider it an erratum?

So why have a radical / stroke index at all? Base it on smething else. Put the kanji in question under sa.

>Eskimoes have over 200 words for snow, right? I suppose one could place a
>priority on things such as sake if one wished to (there was once a time I
>would have wanted something similar for other forms of alcohol, so I can
>relate). :-)

What's the kanji for beer?

The current shiritori word is : $B$A$e$&$;$$(B