Re: What should be radicals

From: Thomas Chan (thomas@atlas.datexx.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 11:03:23 EDT

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, [ISO-2022-JP] てんどう瘢雹りゅう瘢雹じ wrote:

> Shouldn't HAN DIGIT NINE be a radical? I've seen it in a few places in kanji.

Examples?

> Also, what is the radical of "cut"? "Sword"?
> I remember the "cut" chatacter by thinking that 7 swords do a lot of cutting.

'knife' radical, 2 residual strokes.

I "remember" 'to cut' U+5207 because its Chinese reading (Mandarin qie,
Cantonese chit) is almost that of its left half, 'seven' U+4E03 (Mandarin
qi, Cantonese chat). And knowing what it means, the choice of the radical
is obvious, even though it isn't in the intuitive left or top position in
the character. (If I didn't know how it was written, I'd use the
pronunciation-based indices of a dictionary.)

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu