Re: More about SCSU (was: Re: A UTF-8 based News Service)

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 12:01:32 EDT

In a message dated 2001-07-13 4:07:35 Pacific Daylight Time,
qrczak@knm.org.pl writes:

> SCSU doesn't look very nice for me. The idea is OK but it's just
> too complicated. Various proposals of encodings differences or xors
> between consecutive characters are IMHO technically better: much
> simpler to implement and work as well.

These differential schemes seem to be the way IDN (internationalized domain
names) are headed. They are intended for the limited scope of domain names
that have already passed through nameprep, which performs normalization and
further limits the range of allowable characters. I'm not sure how well the
ACEs would perform with arbitrary Unicode text. I suppose only testing would
answer that question.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California