Re: Unicode 3.1 and Roman numeral harmonic analysis

From: Edward Cherlin (Edward.Cherlin.SY.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 18:32:09 EDT

At 06:15 AM 2001-07-17, Patrick Andries wrote:
>Unicode 3.1 mentions :
>
>"These include numbers for time signatures and figured basses, letters for
>section labels and Roman numeral harmonic analysis, etc."
>
>Are the letters used in "Roman numeral harmonic analysis" Roman numerals or
>are some other letters also used ?

Roman numerals. The chord on the tonic (1 3 5) is I; on the subdominant (4
6 1), IV; on the dominant (5 7 2), V; and so on. The Roman numeral simply
identifies the position in the scale of the base note of the chord. There
are also letter and numeral modifiers for things like sixth and seventh
chords, major and minor. The dominant seventh chord (5 7 2 4), for example,
can be written V7. This notation provides chord names that are independent
of the current key, so that CEG is a I chord in the key of C, but a V chord
in the key of F, while FEC is the I chord in F.

>P. Andries

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland