Re: Ambiguous wording in XML Rec (was: Is there Unicode mail out there?)

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 14:29:04 EDT

John,
OK! Yes the "either" would help.

Actually, I probably would have interpreted it correctly had I not
been specifically looking in the spec for a restriction on left
angle bracket that Mark Davis alluded to. (Sorry to drag you back
into this Mark. ;-) )

I saw this fragment as the only possibility in the spec for what he
meant, with the right bracket instead of left....

Personally, I would rewrite this as two sentences to make it clear.

I would change:

"The right angle bracket (>) may be represented using the string
">", and must, for compatibility, be escaped using ">" or a
character reference when it appears in the string "]]>" in content,
when that string is not marking the end of a CDATA section."

to something like:
"When the string "]]>" appears in content and is not marking the end
of a CDATA section, the right angle bracket (>) must be escaped .
The right angle bracket can be escaped using either ">" or a
numeric character reference >.

This thread has taken a number of interesting turns, which point to
the difficulty of working with standards such as HTML that are
dependent on other standards such as SGML, and XML, and trying to
synthesize the total picture, even for something as simple as "where
can NCRs be used". It's perhaps better to cut the umbilical cords
and bring the relevant parts together in one document.
Maybe some day....

tex

John Cowan wrote:
> If we insert "either" before "'>'", would that help?
>
> --
> John Cowan cowan@ccil.org
> One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
> --Douglas Hofstadter

Tex Texin                      Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com      +1-781-280-4271
Fax:+1-781-280-4655
the Progress Company           14 Oak Park, Bedford, MA 01730