Re: RTF language codes

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 10:44:59 EDT

Michael:

>> 3. What is the official source for LCIDs? I have found at least 10
tables
>of LCIDs, *all different* in the languages they list on Microsoft's site.
>Microsoft should have just one table of LCIDs published on their website,
>not one for each technology.
>
>I would say where to look but you would accuse me of broken-record-itis.
>
>Ah, what the heck. WINNT.H. :-)

I definitely disagree with you here. Certainly, as a programmer wanting to
know what LCIDs will do what on a given OS, you need to refer to the header
files associated with that OS, but those are not guaranteed to be complete
-- they are only guaranteed to be the list that are supported in the OS
that ships. E.g. Word 2000 uses a number of LANGIDs that don't appear in
contemporary versions of header files, but that doesn't mean that they are
not MS-officially assigned LANGIDs. The official source for LANGIDs and
LCIDs is an Excel spreadsheet that a particular individual maintains. The
issue at hand isn't with the official source, though, but with the public
documentation. Marc is saying that he would like to see one point of public
documentation that is deemed to be the authoritative reference rather than
a number of different documents that usually don't match. I quite agree
with him on this. I also agree with Marc that that source is not and should
not be WINNT.H, both for the reason mentioned above and also because
LANGIDs get used by people for purposes other than creating Windows
applications. Witness, for instance, the message that started this thread,
which has to do with the use of RTF in a Mac context -- and you expect him
to go looking in WINNT.H?

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>