Native font format

From: Myanmar Triumph Int'l Ltd. (mtil@mptmail.net.mm)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 03:35:05 EDT

Hello Experts,

I've got a few things about the captioned that I'd like to clarify with you
all.
Please help me make those puzzles less puzzling for me.

1. In each and every OS Platform (such as Microsoft Win9x, Win2K, Mac, IBM
OS2, Unix, Linux etc...), is there anything like native font format?
(What drove me to ask this question is that AFAIK, .ttf was designed for
Apple Macintosh, then, I'd like to claim .ttf as a native font format of
Mac, Can I?.)

2. Can I claim .bdf (bitmap distribution format of Adobe) as a native font
format of Linux? And .pcf (Portable Compiled Format)?

3. Please let me know of the history (why, what and by whom, where) about
PCF format under *nix ?

4. What is the best font format that I should use in case I'd like to enter
unicode values?

Your input is so much appreciated.

Thanks & best regards,

William W.L.K