Re: Does anyone know if there is a convertor that can convert UTF-8 to Shift-JIS?

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 10:15:26 EDT

James Kass wrote:
> Foster Feng wrote:
> > Does anyone know if there is a convertor that can
> > convert UTF-8 to Shift-JIS?
>
> Try uniconv.exe by Basis Technology.
>
> It is distributed for free as a demo of the Rosette
> library; download from
> http://rosette.basistech.com/demo.html
>
> It's a big file, but does many formats including UTF-8
> to Shift-JIS, IIRC.

While we're listing them, don't forget C-Kermit:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

At the C-Kermit> prompt, simply type:

  translate <inputfilename> utf8 shift-jis <outputfilename>

Of course C-Kermit is more than just an iconv or recode
replacement, since it can also perform this and many other
character-set conversions as part of the file transfer
process using Kermit protocol on serial or network connections,
and in version 8.0:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck80.html

also in FTP.

- Frank