Transliteration scripts

From: B (11@onna.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 17:26:00 EDT

1. Cyrillic is probably a much better "all-purpose" transliteration script than Latin. I believe that if one must write Japanese in an *alphabet*, Cyrillic would be near-ideal. Tengwar would probably be ideal. Doesn't Tengwar already have the equivalent of a small tsu built into the script?
I can tell you in one word why Latin script is so darn popular: politics.

Isn't Devanagari the closest natlang equivalent to Tengwar? It is also so pretty!!

Scripts are weird. I once looked at a page of math in Arabic script. It looked just like Western math, except the square root signs were mirror-image. The cool part: the person who wrote it kept his digits. He did not adapt his writing style to the Western symbols, but rather adapted the symbols to his writing style!

Heve kana or kanji ever been used in place of x, y, z in algebra? Like this: $B#2!_!J$"!0#2!K!\#1!a$$!0#2(B

Well, I guess what you say is true,
I could never be the right kind of girl for you,
I could never be your woman
                      - White Town