Re: Opentype support under Liunx

From: Werner LEMBERG (wl@gnu.org)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 10:58:51 EDT

From: "Myanmar Triumph Int'l Ltd." <mtil@mptmail.net.mm>
Subject: Opentype support under Liunx
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:43:52 +0700

> I'd like to know urgently whether or not Linux (of any versions) now
> supports "Open Type" format.

What exactly do you need? With FreeType 1.x comes support for
OpenType GSUB and GPOS tables (recently updated to cover OpenType
version 1.3):

  ftp://ftp.freetype.org/pub/unstable/freetype-current.tar.gz

IIRC, the Pango complex script layout library uses this (ported to
FreeType 2.x), so it is possible to make applications on Linux and
similar platforms OpenType-aware. I don't know whether Pango already
has a module for Burmese -- I'm quite sure that the author of Pango
would be happy if you can contribute something :-)

    Werner