Re: Special Type Sorts Tray 2001 (derives from Egyptian Transliteration Characters)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 10:12:33 EDT

From: "William Overington" <WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk>

> Is there an official Unicode Consortium statement that states, for the
> record, that the Unicode Consortium refuses to encode more ligatures and
> precomposed characters please?

I think it is quite clearly stated that the ones that ARE present are there
for backwards compatibility with pre-existing standards. Not sure why you
feel that it is important to do more than this? Perhaps the standard is not
applying as much verbiage to it as you would like it to -- but the point is
just as valid in a sentence as in a chapter.

If you like, you can propose such characters -- even a completely
preposterous proposal (which this is not!) would not be ignored. If it is
refused, then you can understand that the people here are trying to guide
your noble (but in my humble opinion misplaced) effort to use Unicode in
some way (any way) that it is not in fact why its customers need to use it.

> It is unfortunate that an attempt to quite
> happily seek to use the private use area as set out in the specification,
> where the word "published" is used, seems to become controversialized.

I think you are misunderstanding the intentions of the people who have been
commenting. Your ideas are not "bad" or "wrong" or "controversial". Some of
them simply do not mesh with the intentions of Unicode in every case. People
who comment are not claiming "controversy" since these decisions have
already been made and do not need to be made again.

I think I stated a long time ago that there is much useful work that COULD
be done, long before anyone will be bored enough to want to invent new
standards such as STST2001 which really do not mesh with the present goals
of Unicode. Will you not apply some of the boundless energy that you give to
STST into some of those items?

Obviously Unicode is not a place to go for fame or glory, or to be
remembered for all time as the person who invented ______ (fill in the blank
here). But it is still useful work that many people will use. And people
appreciate Unicode best when they do not notice it. :-)

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/