Re: Special Type Sorts Tray 2001 (derives from Egyptian Transliteration Chara...

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 11:51:04 EDT

Oops, I forgot something.

In a message dated 2001-10-02 4:50:03 Pacific Daylight Time,
WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk writes:

> if such a refusal has been declared then people who wish
> to have these characters encoded may act knowing that the Unicode
Consortium
> will have legally estopped itself from making any future complaint that it
> has some right to set the standards in such a matter

The Unicode Consortium is a private, not-for-profit organization. ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC2/WG2 is an international standards working group. I don't believe
either is subject to the legal principle of estoppel. Essentially, if they
want to they can play Calvinball with the standard they are creating,
although we all hope that does not happen.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California

("Calvinball" comes from the American comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes," in
which a young boy plays a game with his stuffed tiger who comes to life, the
main rule of which game is that the boy, Calvin, can change the rules at any
time.)