Re: Ḧÿp̈ḧën̈ ̈ẅïẗḧ ̈d̈ïäër̈ïs̈ ̈äb̈öv̈ë

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 13:28:35 EDT

>It doesn't look correct either:
>
>-̈ –̈ —̈
>
>In the first case, it's too far to left. In the last case it's too far to
>the right. In all three cases it's too far high above the hyphens (at
least
>in the font I'm displaying this message with).

This naively assumes that rendering of combining marks can be done using
default glyph metrics alone. This is simply not the case -- complex
rendering requires a "smart font" rendering technology like AAT, Graphite
or OpenType+Uniscribe|CoolType. All three combinations can be made to look
good using any of the three technologies mentioned.

These things are well understood by people implementing support for
scripts like Devanagari, Arabic or Myanmar. What many people still need to
learn is that Latin is also a "complex" script.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>