Re: Mysterious ISO 2022-JP characters

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 12:48:00 EDT

On 5 Oct 2001, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> I've received data encoded in ISO 2022-JP that I am unable to figure
> out how to map to Unicode. The characters in question do not appear in
> the old JIS0208.TXT, and I can't find them in UniHan.txt either

> These characters are the problem:
>
> (7A22, 7C22, 7964 and 7B64)

  Assuming what I wrote below is correct (and I didn't make
any mistake in 'math'), they are:

  u+605D, u+91DE, u+5953, u+FA21

> Does anyone know what characters these are, and how to map them to
> Unicode? Are they part of some vendor extension to JIS 0208? If so,

  I'm not sure, but it seems like they're a part of NEC Kanji
character set (ref. Ken Lunde, CJKV Information Processing, p. 592).
According to CJKV Information Processing NEC Kanji adds 360 Kanjis and
14 Non-Kanji from IBM Japanese character sets in rows 89-92.
IBM Japanese is listed as 'kIBMJapan' in UniHan.txt.

> does anyone know of a conversion table for that extension?

  Provided that what's above is the case, I guess you can rather easily
construct a conversion table from UniHan.txt by comparing the table in
p.585 of CJKV I.P. and the table in p. 594 of the same book.

  Jungshik Shin