Re: Two new documents

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 11:44:28 EDT

At 11:21 AM -0400 10/8/01, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>I note that this includes a proposal for encoding the symbols from
>the PHAISTOS DISK. I thought these had been rejected on the grounds
>that they were idiosyncratic (i.e. didn't show up anywhere except
>the PHAISTOS DISK). Has that changed?

No, it wasn't rejected. Its official status with UTC is "not
approved." Basically, there was no strong reason to go either way on
it. It appears to be a real script (or a board game), and there are
people who want to be able to work with the script as part of the
decipherment process. On the other hand, there *is* just the one
document (or board game), so there's only so much one can do.

And it remains the only encoding proposal sent to the UTC which
contains the entire known corpus of writing in the script as a part
of the proposal.

--

John H. Jenkins jenkins@apple.com jenkins@mac.com http://homepage.mac.com/jenkins/