Re: [OT] ANN: Site about scripts

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 12:28:50 EDT

* Hietaniemi Jarkko

| You may consider trying to classify the artificial scripts a bit
| more. For example I *think* (I'm a bit rusty on my Elvish) that for
| Tengwar would be either Abjad (like Hebrew), or maybe Featural (like
| Hangul),

Tengwar has vowel diacritics that seem to follow temporal order, so it
may be that it should be an abugida rather than an alphasyllabary, but
it is not an abjad. I am not too sure of the distinction between
abugida and alphasyllabary, to be honest. Help on this would be
welcome.

| and Cirth would be Alphabet (like Runic).

Cirth is already described as an alphabet, so I am not sure what you
mean.

I haven't separated the artificial scripts category into
sub-categories based on type because there are few of them (on my
site, anyway), and because the category system is based on the origin
of the scripts rather than their features.

--Lars M.