Re: Hangul script type: (was Re: [OT] ANN: Site about scripts)

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 18:21:30 EDT

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Jungshik Shin wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Jungshik Shin wrote:
>
> > double consonant.) It's also featural at a lower level. The shape
> > of basic consonants - Giyeok [k/g], Nieun [n], Digeut [t/d], etc - were
> > devised to 'imitate' the shape of 'vocal organs' when they're pronounced
> > consonants close in terms of pronunciation are similar to each other in
> > their shapes as well. This was recorded in Hun-min-jeong-um (a book
>
> and I should have checked it. It's not Hun-min-jong-um but
> Hun-min-jong-um-hae-rye (Explanations and examples of the correct sound
> for the instruction of the people) where this explanation of the origin of
> the shape was given. The former was published under King Sejong's reign
> but the latter was published *a few decades after* the formal announcement

  Ooops. I made another blunder. I mixed up 'Hun-min-jong-um-hae-rye'
with 'Hun-mong-ja-hoe'. The former was authored by the very scholars
in King Sejong's court who invented Hangul under King Sejong's reign.
It was the latter which was published (by 'CHOE Se-jin') about 70 years
after 'Hun-min-jong-um' and 'Hun-min-jong-um-hae-rye'. Therefore, we
can say definitely that the shapes of basic consonants were designed
to schematically describe the speech organs involved and the shape of
other consonants were derived from them.

  Jungshik Shin