Re: [OT] ANN: Site about scripts

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 12:57:17 EDT

At 23:23 -0500 2001-10-13, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:
> >Ethiopic and Canadian Syllabics and Tengwar are featural.
>
>I have never heard anyone suggest any script other than Hangul to be
>featural. Please explain.

The little tails on Ethiopic relate in a regular way to the sounds
they denote. The rotation of Canadian Syllabics characters relates in
a regular way to the sounds they denote. The adding of height or
depth to the telco and the doubling or inversion of the lúvo in
Tengwar relate in a regular way to the sounds they denote.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com
Telephone +353 86 807 9169 *** Fax +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)