Re: Hangul script type

From: Mark Davis (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 21:54:41 EDT

RE: Hangul script typeThe canonical decomposition of double consonants was changed to compatibility at the specific request of the Korean national body, in discussions early in the development of Unicode. They were then later removed to eliminate problems with normalization.

> section 3.11 (Conjoining Jamo Behavior). In MS implementation, I.C.,
> M.V. and F.C. can be either a single code point in U+1100 Jamo block
> (as described in Unicode 3.0) or a composite of two or more
> code points
> in the block. 3.11 of TUS 3.0 may have to be revised to reflect this.
  Do you know if any such rewriting/expansion of the TUS text is in
  the works? The (compatibility) decomposition of the double consonants
  were, however, removed from Unicode a while ago. Do you mean that
  they really should have been canonical decompositions (too late to
  change now).

                  /kent k