Re: Hangul script type: (was Re: [OT] ANN: Site about scripts)

From: Martin Duerst (duerst@w3.org)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 00:47:30 EDT

At 16:44 01/10/11 -0700, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

>Hangul is structured from an alphabet (the jamo). That alphabet is
>so tightly coupled to the phonology of Korean that it can be
>considered a phonemic alphabet -- it is very regularly related to
>the sound of Korean.

Oh well. I guess you never heard about all the liaisons
and things that go on with final consonants and consonant
clusters. Hangul was order-made for Korean, but Korean has
changed. In many ways, it's similar to the current state
of French. It's definitely not as nice as Finish or Italian,
but not as bad as English.

Regards, Martin.