RE: Chinese PinYin Characters

From: Charlie Ruland (ruland@netcologne.de)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 11:33:09 EDT

> Could someone tell me if all accentuated characters used for
> pinyin writing is include in Unicode ?

Yes, they are all included.

Note however that some rarer characters have to be composed as base character + tone mark. I am speaking of those ideographs that are pronounced with a syllabic nasal (Hm/hm, M/m, Hng/hng, Ng/ng; only a few precomposed characters for these are assigned) or a mid front vowel (Ê/ê), as well as older pinyin styles where the neutral tone was written as either a dot or a ring above A/a, E/e, Ê/ê, I**/i, M/m, N/n, O/o, U**/u, Ü**/ü instead of no mark at all. Also note that formerly the velar nasal (now spelled Ng/ng) was written as eng (U+014A/U+014B) which could take a tone mark.

Attached you find an image of all characters that might have to be composed. When choosing a font for you document make sure the second tone mark goes from bottom left to top right, not vice versa as the acute accent in most other languages.

Charlie

** I, U and Ü only occur when whole words are written with capital letters.

PinyinComposed.gif