Re: FW: A product compatibility question

From: Sampo Syreeni (decoy@iki.fi)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 16:48:37 EDT

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

>"Traditional Chinese" and "Simplified Chinese" are *not* two different
>languages.

But they are naturally handled as such, no? After all, they employ the
same Unicode codepoints but are displayed in a different font altogether.

>The TC/SC distinction is an artifact of legacy choices made for encoding
>characters and implementation of text in East Asian computer systems. It
>is *not* a language distinction, and should not be tagged as such.

But there are distinguishable dialectal differences between the variants
of the base Chinese language used between the areas which primarily
utilize Simplified and Traditional Chinese. Hence, even if they are not
treated as separate languages, one cannot do a codepoint-for-codepoint
transformation and end up with legible text. This sort of distinction
*should* be tagged as a dialect variant, if I'm not incorrect altogether.

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111