Re: OCX's that support Unicode

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 20:59:46 EDT

Tex,

> Michael, thanks.

Any time. :-)

> Are there any Microsoft controls that do scheduling (for displaying
> project timelines or something similar, even if crude...)?

I do not know of any.... but of course there may well be several available.
Way too much stuff comes out of MS for anyone to keep track of it (heck,
didn't Gates move out of the CEO spot to have more time to review products
again? He wasn't seeing it enough, either! <g>).

> More generally, I was mucking around with some of the Microsoft OCXs,
> but it got too confusing. They had many that seem to do similar things,
> some were probably just later versions, of an original and were renamed.
> But it was hard to figure out which were the latest, and which will be
> supported going forward, and also had reasonable licensing, so I
> couldn't properly recommend them.
> (I can't tell people to build applications and require their customers
> to buy or download some unrelated software.)

Well, if you have an OCX in mind, I might either know what the deal is for
redist, or else I might know who to ask.... we can continue that
conversation offline if we have moved off of Unicode for that?

> If you or anyone else could suggest guidelines, then I might reconsider
> recommending these controls.

Most controls and components that ship with dev. products (and which a dev
would need to deploy solutions) are on a redist list that is included with
the product. This includes SQL Server, VS, VC, VB, Office Developer, etc.
There are exceptions (which is why checking that redist list can be so
important) but by and large its true.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.