Re: Windows/Office XP question

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 01:47:39 EDT

In a message dated 2001-10-18 8:00:23 Pacific Daylight Time,
mark@macchiato.com writes:

> One feature that
> some systems have is composite fonts, where the "font" is actually a table
> of subfonts in some order (perhaps with specific ranges assigned to each).
> That way, someone can have the advantage of specifying a single font name,
> and get a full repertoire, without requiring a monster font. Of course,
> there may be little uniformity of style across scripts, or in mixtures of
> symbols, but at least you can get legible characters instead of boxes.
>
> Are there any plans to do something like that in Windows?

In fact, just recently I noticed that Notepad in Windows 2000 substitutes
glyphs from Microsoft Sans Serif whenever the "real" font chosen by the user
does not support that character (and possibly even in some cases when it
does). I haven't noticed any other applications doing this.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California