Re: Ext-B fonts updated

From: Thomas Chan (thomas@atlas.datexx.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 11:16:19 EDT

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Asmus Freytag wrote:

> Even with a number of errata not yet corrected, the current font is a vast
> improvement over the previously used TTF font (which did not contain any
> glyphs at all for several hundred positions). In the meantime, John said
> it all when he wrote the the identity of the ideograph is given by its
> source mapping, not its glyph in the table.

That works for those that have a character set source mapping (e.g., T-
sources for higher CNS 11643 planes) or dictionary source page and serial
number mappings (e.g., kHanyuDaZidian field), but what do we do about
those that don't? For example, although I own a copy of the _Ci Hai_
dictionary (G-CH source), I can't tell which character in it that U+206C5
is meant to be. (No doubt this can be resolved with more
cross-references, although that still leaves the problem of non-dictionary
sources such as G-FZ/FZ_BK and G-4K.) Also, there's no way I can
determine what U+20850 is, as it doesn't come from a real character set
(K-4 source).

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu