RE: Character encoding at the prompt

From: Richard, Francois M (Francois.M.Richard@usa.xerox.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 12:34:12 EDT

As a follow-up on this interesting issue, I did the following testing on
Solaris 2.6:

>setenv LC_ALL en_US
>env LC_ALL=it.UTF-8 date
giovedì, 25 ottobre 2001, 11:45:24 EDT

This worked properly since Thursday is actually: giovedì in Italian and ì is
U+00EC encoded as C3 AC (hexa) in Utf-8.
These two bytes are intrepreted as iso-8859-1 encoding (default in Solaris)
and as a result are displayed as ì

But:
>setenv LC_ALL en_US.UTF-8
>env LC_ALL=it echo
giovedì, 25 ottobre 2001, 11:45:24 EDT

I could not understand why I get the display of the letter ì in the
en_US.UTF-8 Locale. My understanding was that the date command was
generating the message in the Italian locale (default encoding iso-8859-1)
and as a result ì would be encoded as xEC. The display should be done in the
en_US.UTF-8 Locale and be an invalid byte sequence.

The other question is related to Locale setting:
What is the difference between LC_ALL and LANG and how these variables are
used by the OS. In particular, cannot see any impact on the OS when LANG is
changed.

What does the encoding part of the Locale impact? Does it mean that any
characters processed by the OS are going to be interpreted according to this
encoding? What are some practical examples of this impact?

François