RE: Question about some compatibility characters

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 05:34:29 EST

David Hopwood wrote:
> [...]
> The following characters have compatibility mappings but not canonical
> mappings (and also satisfy some other criteria that aren't really
> important to my question):
> [...]
> The question I'd like to ask is whether they are produced in practice
> by common keyboard drivers and operating systems, without using
> cut-and-paste or entering the code point.

At least for Thai the answer is yes: (U+0E33 THAI CHARACTER SARA AM) is on
all Thai keyboards since DOS times (it is the key the key corresponding to
"e" in QUERTY: see
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/keyboards.asp).

There is a theoretical possibility that, on a modern system, this key might
generate the sequence U+0E4D, U+0E32 (THAI CHARACTER NIKHAHIT, THAI
CHARACTER SARA AA). But I would not expect such a possibility in practice.

_ Marco