Re: Hindi characters for transcribing the sound "e"

From: Aman Chawla (creativezeal@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 17:23:45 EST

Yes, I am a native speaker. The Hindi word for dirt is मैल The vowel in this sounds like the vowel in the English word 'shall' (also, like the first vowel sound in the English word 'rally') and not at all like the vowel in 'bed' or 'red'. However, the Hindi word for harmony which is मेल has a vowel which does sound like the vowel sound in the English word 'bake'. In any case, the vowel sound that I am talking about is neither the one in 'shall' nor the one in 'bake', rather the one in 'bed', 'red', 'said', etc.