Re: BIG5 kana support in Mozilla

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 16:31:02 EST

dear joe:
Thansk for your comment. I suggest you open a bugzilla bug (see
bugzilla.mozilla.org ) to track this issue

cc unicode@unicode.org and momoi for this issue.

The problem is quite complex.
1. The origional BIG5 specification III (Institute for Information
Industry) put together in 1985 (?) does not include these characters.
2. Different vendors encode different characters in this area, not
necessary as what you expected, for example

a. Apple define no characters in this area- see
ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/CHINTRAD.TXT
b. Microsoft define no characters in this area - see
ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP950.TXT
c. one of the mapping table which used to post on ftp.unicode.org by

Glenn Adams <glenn@metis.com> and John H. Jenkins <John_Jenkins@taligent.com>

(John now work for apple) as "Big5"

# Name: BIG5 to Unicode table (complete)
# Unicode version: 1.1
# Table version: 0.0d3
# Table format: Format A
# Date: 11 February 1994

did encode those area as Japanese Kana
d.
The appendix 7 in the ET user guide I have show those area are defined
as circle numbers instead of Japanese Kana

e. RFC 1922 give some details about this issue in the Appendix A.4 of
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc1922.html

.4 Big5 (ETen and IBM Version) specific numeric symbols
    correspondence to CNS 11643 Plane 1: (Microsoft version defined this
area as UDC - User Defined Character)

    0xC6A1-0xC6BE <-> 0x2621 - 0x263E