Re: The benefit of a symbol for 2 pi

From: Robert Palais (palais@math.utah.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 20:07:10 EST

Thanks Doug for this and your comments on the additional existing
symbols which could be appropriate. In fact Cajori mentions that
the capital pi Was used at some point for 6.28... so someone had
the same idea long before I did. I will take these and the many
other suggestions you and others made if the AMS is open to discussing
the possibilities!

I'd be just as happy to leave
pi alone as long as it came along with the warning that it
is a bit off for simplifying radians, where a quarter of an hour
would be easier to understand as \newpi \over 4.

Still, it seems to have stimulated some great introspection and
discussion on the relationship of unicode to the world of symbols
and communication, and been extremely educational to a novice
to the art like me!

Best regards,

Bob Palais