Re: The benefit of a symbol for 2 pi

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 02:14:26 EST

Robert Palais wrote,

> My own proposal was a pictogram: A circle with a radius to "3 o'clock",
> i.e. from 0 to 1 in the complex number plane. Pacman with mouth closed.
> Does that already exist in Unicode? :-) My dad's version is a lot more
> palatable for most people.

Couldn't find such a glyph, but there are some that are vaguely
similar:

U+29B7 CIRCLED PARALLEL
U+238B BROKEN CIRCLE WITH NORTHWEST ARROW
U+229D CIRCLED DASH

And, with a note of mild humor, possibly the PEACE SIGN at U+262E
might serve? It doesn't seem to be used much these days. With the
vagaries of English plurals, perhaps peace is the proper plural for pi...

Best regards,

James Kass,

P.S. - With so-called "smart" fonts, which are really just OpenType fonts,
a string such as the digit two followed by the Greek pi could be replaced
in the display with a special glyph for 2pi or "newpi". This would not
alter the original file, it only impacts the display. The procedure is
called "glyph substitution" and support for OpenType is growing.